21.10.08

Why?

Why do people in England grimace rather than smile when they encounter each other casually?
(I can uderstand why he has a reason to grimace)

Whether in the office or on the street, the grimace seems to be the default facial expression when words are too much but ignoring each other seems less than possible. I never thought I was one of those people with visceral, pet hates, but increasingly I believe this is one of mine – what is wrong with a smile? It seems as if people think smiling is some sort of transaction, which I suppose it is, implying as it does the underlying thought ‘I think you’re alright, and you think the same of me, I assume’. Rather we grimace – ‘which while not being a f**k, is close to expressing a physical pain at being caught in the same space with another human being.

Anyways! There’s my rant – further posts will be focused on our usual topics, tune in again.

No comments: